Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Digbysmum
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

Job/hobbies : Ambulance Driver Welsh Ambulance NHS Trust

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi All,

She is doing more than well she is fabulous. Taking everything in her stride. Loves the car. Loves going to the fields - she was belting around for almost two hours today with the collies and Digby in the sunshine and she loved every minute.
Getting stronger by the day and muscle is starting to come. She is eating really well and starting to realise that she hasnot got to rush that more food will come a bit later in the day - is impatient when she is waiting for it to cool as I cook most things for them, and woofs and bays incase I forget to give it to them - as if.
Hubby has fallen in love with her too and was well chuiffed today that she followed him upstairs with her tail wagging. She goes to meet him at the door if he goes out for his papers etc and he has taken the photos I printed off over to his club to show his mates.
Took her to dog obedience class tonight - just for a look - and she was really good. Was fascinated by the other dogs there especially the little poodles of which there are four. Have enrolled her now on the course which starts on the 19th April.
Have ordered her a beautiful new collar in a material called ' Pretty in pink' but this will not be going to the fields for the rough and tumbles as she is still wearing Digbys last one - black with diggers in various colours on it - but now it is mud coloured all over!!
When her new one comes, the one she is wearing now will go in the washing machine and be kept for her dirty walks .
Will post pics tomorrow when I am less tired .
I love watching her with her porridge in the mornings - it is like watching a hoover suck up porridge - it never fails to make me laugh.
Goodnight to all, Love from Ang, Digby and the Roxy-roo.xxx
Back to top Go down
GD1
LBDR Newbie
LBDR Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:45 am

What a lovely story with a happy ending in a great new forever home. We met Angy and her family a year or so ago when I was visiting my mother in Wales and we went on a lovely walk , we received such a fantastic welcome so we know what good hands Roxy is in. Well done to you and your family Ang.

Best Regards Stuart, Linda and Codie. Hi
Back to top Go down
Digbysmum
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:01 am

Hi dog in car

Hi All and a special hello to Stuart , Linda and the beautiful Cody.

I did not know that you were also on this website folks but it is good to hear from you again.
We have had Roxy for 11 days now and to be truthful it is hard to remember pre-Roxy as she seems to have been here forever. She is much more vocal than Digby and is first to hear the door etc and shouts the odds to any dog in the area who will answer her when she is in the back garden but she is so beautiful.
We are passing many milestones with her and she is being really good and taking everything in her stride.
Yesterday morning (Saturday) we were all up early to support youngest daughter and no.1 son-in-law doing a 5K RUN IN THE PARK - along the river bank - and while they ran eldest daughter, me, grandkids Danes and 1 collie wandered along the riverbank in the sun , which was beautiful. Meeting all the fun runners and cyclists on the way back was no problem for Roxy nor was the many hands patting her or cameras taking her pics while Digby turned into a quivering wreck - possibly due to the fact that we believe his eyesight is deteriorating especially in sunlight - so he had to go back on the lead for support!! She just loves the attention.
Then after a busy morning of shopping at Pets at Home and registering her with the vet there we left her in the house for the first time with just Digby for company while we went to the Agricultural merchants in Cowbridge to stock up on dried feed for all the animals. OH as normal got the wrong end of the stick . The Danes had been out with us all morning and had had breakfast and lunch so I said to OH when they settle down to rest we will go to Cowbridge - great plan Ang!!
So they settle down and what does OH do - wake them up as he thought we were taking them too but as I explained to him if we take the two of them where are we going to put all the sacks of food - 12 or so plus nets of carrots -as we do normally take Digby. Well he hadn't thought of that had he and even our poor Volvo estate won't stretch that much - it carries the impossible now. So we went and Roxy watched us go through the window and we were gone about an hour and although they were waiting behind the front door when we got back as they had heard us coming they had both been as good as gold .
Now for a laugh!!
You have all heard about the Elephant and the Mouse tale but have you heard the one about the GREAT DANE AND THE SPIDER!!!
Last night after a good run on the land and supper - Digby, Roxy and I settled down to watch TV - OH had gone to bed and the collies were in the kitchen as normal.
Digby was on the settee and Roxy on her bed on the floor flat out. When along came a spider - admittedly a big one as I could see it without my glasses on - well she flew up, jumped on the chair with her head facing the wall , jumped off again flew around the room and would not settle until I had opened the door and she flew upstairs and settled on the bed - and was there all night from 10.20pm until 8.00am. What a wus that girl is.
Don't forget GD1 when you come to Wales again please look us up and we will have another lovely walk !!
Has the wedding gone or am I being premature!! Hope you have /had a wonderful day.
Love to all , Ang, Digby and the great Roxy-roo.xxx
Back to top Go down
soraya
LBDR True friend
LBDR True friend

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:09 am

More tales of "Little Miss Muffet"! Your updates are really good, I can imagine evrything you describe.

I'm really glad that Roxy "grew too big". Her new life obviously suits her down to the ground, and your care, input and love mean that she has now got the best life she could ever have. So many walks, friends and new adventures.

The only downside is that there are spiders in Wales rofl rofl rofl
Back to top Go down
amanda
Committee member
Committee member

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:35 am

Great update again Ang yes
Back to top Go down
http://www.largebreeddogrescue.com/
sharon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 am

Wonderful update Ange really pleased she is doing so well clap clap

Shame you did not catch her and the spider on film laughing
Back to top Go down
Dawny
LBDR True friend
LBDR True friend

Job/hobbies : dog walking swimming and horse riding

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:11 pm

oh my she sounds so funny the updates are fantastic i felt like i was in your front room then Ang big smile keep them coming its sooo nice to hear how she is doing i think we all may need a little holiday at yours sometime this year sounds like doggy heaven big smile
Back to top Go down
GD1
LBDR Newbie
LBDR Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi Ang, Roxy seems to have really settled in with her new family, Codie is still a big wuss too but she would probably ate the spider.
Saddly my mother died suddenly last August so we dont visit Wales that often now, but we will let you know next time we are comming down so we can arrange another walk with you and your family.
Linda and I get married on the 22nd of May so are busy sorting out all the arrangements.

Take Care Kind Regards Stuart, Linda and Codie.
Back to top Go down
Digbysmum
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi All and Linda , Stuart and Codie,

So sorry to hear that your mum has passed away and that you won't be coming to Wales so often.

Hopefully our paths will cross again as I would love Roxy to meet your calm Codie and pick up a few good habits rather than follow Digby and pick up bad ones which she does SO QUICKLY.

He has already taught her to go right up to the chinchilla cage as they pass through the animal room , to lie on the settee and not share it; to chase my daughters Rotty when she gets too boisterous - they gang up together for this - and numerous other things.

She has taught her self to investigate the chicken enclosure quite closely, to bark at the neighbouring dogs while wandering in the back garden , to take herself upstairs to bed at anytime of the day or night as she finds the upstairs bed more comfy than her day bed and also to walk really well on her lead when I use the Cesar Milan Ilusion Collar. She has obviously had some neck trauma in the past as if I use a slip collar - even a rope one - she goes into a panic but the Illusion collar works beautifully and she stands really well to have it put on and is really happy in it. Hopefully her new allday every day name disc holding collar will arrive this week and I will be able to post more pics of her looking glamorous. Her recall has improved 100% and she enjoys going into the front garden when the family are leaving and coming back into the house once they have left. She enjoys having the two little collies travel in the boot of the car behind the dog guard with her rather than be on her own behind the guard. She does love having time in the fields for free running and chasing etc and will then turn a deaf ear to getting back in the car and coming home but she does not go away from the car , just round and round it , incase I change my mind and stay longer. With the longer evenings coming now we will be spending a lot more time in the fields especially when the weather is good as we have quite a bit of tidying up to do there after the winter so she will have more time than ever for play.

I am pleased to say that the muscles are coming in her quarters from running free and she is getting stronger and fitter by the day. She is also growing ( but can still go under the boy ) but I took her and Digby to visit a friend of mine with a brindle dane tonight and in just over a week she has got taller compared to the other bitch - they are like two peas in a pod although Chunk has a bigger head at the moment.

Still off work with the ankle damage but persevere with walking and this week we are going to go and explore some of the local forestry walks as the grand kids are now on school holidays and if the weather holds we intend to spend quite a bit of time out and about. Now that Roxy's walking has improved so much she is going to start her Good Citizens Awards this Wednesday evening in Heol y Cyw - the next course of basic obedience start on the 19th April and she is already enrolled on the course. Like a young child she is sucking up learning like a sponge and has calmed down so much it is wonderful. She still gives the collies hell when they are chasing the ball and when they are practicing the Cani-X with the grand kids the Danes are circling them all the time and generally getting in the way so when the grandkids and collies run in the competitions without Dane-hinderance - they should do really well and they will only have the Danes waiting on the finishing line to cheer them home.

I honestly could not have asked or wished for a better addition to the family she fits in so well. Everyday is a learning curve for our girl and everyday she suprises me as to how much she takes in her stride. She adores the grandkids and follows them everywhere and they can do anything they want to with her - she is so good natured.

Looking forward to coming on one of the summer Mote Park walks so that you can see for yourselves how good she is.

With love Ang, Digby and Roxy xxx
Back to top Go down
Digbysmum
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi Hi Hi
Tis us again - Roxy plus 5 ang a half weeks - and she is going from strength to strength!! She is truly adorable and a real pleasure to own.
I am finding it hard to realise that she has only been with us this short time as it seems odd to think back pre-Roxy she seems to have been here forever.
She is brilliant at home while I am in work and she goes in and out of the front garden with John and Digby and lies in the sun while John sits on his bench and they talk to all the people walking by. She takes herself back to bed in the afternoons as when I get home she comes charging down the stairs with eyes blinking getting used to the light again so I know that she has had a good sleep but then hell breaks loose as the crazy pair embark upon their favourite leaping game so it is a quick change and I take them down to the river for a couple of hours to get rid of their energy and to keep the collies in trim and a good time is had by us all. Rox actually enjoyed a game of football the other night with some boys in the park - but the game ended when she ran off with the football which took ages to retrieve as she did not want to give it up but once it was returned we made a hasty departure.
She now goes to Dog Obedience training on a Monday evening and Good Citizens Award on a Wednesday night and is doing very well in both. After much trial and error with what gear to train her in and trying a lot of what I have bought over the months for the boy wonder, I use a long training lead and a half nylon/half chain half check collar and so far so good. Her pretty pink collar has been passed on to her cousin - my daughters Rotty bitch - as Digby kept getting his jaw caught in it when they were playing and also she started to panic when it tightened so that has been washed and passed on and she now has a Wainwrights padded nylon collar and matching lead which she walks out brilliantly on with no pulling at all . It looks very smart but it is not very pretty as it only comes in one colour - olive green and shiny - but it works a treat with her and she is good with walking close to you on it. I does suit her and is very strong and smart - and it doesnot seem to pick up the dirt like the pink one did. She is off the lead so much now that I take her and Dig for a trot round the block on the lead just to keep reminding them how to walk on a lead as normally they are all in the car, down to the river or our fields and out of the car and then the reverse home - no lead required!!
She is doing well in training and learning her commands well - her worst one is SIT as her sit is very wonky to say the least - but her stand , down and stay are really coming on. I am keeping my fingers crossed as her first Good Citizens Award - the Bronze - is on May 17th and she should pass it with no probs as she can do all the elements required. Not bad considering her time with us - I am so very pleased her all together.
I am also getting excited as in two weeks time Roxy, Digby and I are going CAMPING for the weekend in Exeter!! The family have taken up Canix - running with dogs cross country - with my son-in-law using my biggest collie and the two grand children using the two little ones and they are doing really well. They have been practising for weeks and we go and watch them in the local park and their first weekend competition was this past weekend in Pembrey Country Park about an hour west of us in Cardiff and they all did extremely well.It was a two day competition and over the two days my soninlaw came 4th, granddaughter (7) came second in her class and grandson (13) WON HIS GROUP so now we are off to Exeter and staying away for the two days. I was thinking of doing that this time but we had a wedding party on the Saturday so were unable to leave before 7.30am on Sunday but that gave us plenty of time there and we were able to see all the races on the Sunday - well the starts and the finishes at least. Roxy and Digby were as good as gold spectating so tonight I ordered a new sleeping mattress and foot pump to take with me - the Danes will take their "day beds" ( double quilts sewn inside throws) and I can't wait - hubby is staying behind to look after the menagerie!!
Had better close now as it is passed middnight and I have a six o'clock start in the morning.
Love to all, Ang, Digby and the Roxy-roo.xxx
Back to top Go down
Mellonz
LBDR Friend
LBDR Friend

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:29 am

hi Ang

What a great update again on Roxy. sounds like she is doing great.

Looking forward to some more photos soon!!

big smile
Back to top Go down
sharon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:35 am

You are doing a fantastic job with her

Thank you so much for her latest update

Hope you have a great weekend and she behaves herself camping

Good luck to your family as well

Keep these updates coming they are great to read
Back to top Go down
soraya
LBDR True friend
LBDR True friend

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:42 am

Shame about the collar, but safety first.

You know the saying "Less is more", ......well some girls just don't need pretty and bling! Roxy has sufficient of her own charms.
Back to top Go down
amanda
Committee member
Committee member

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:51 am

Great update Ang thumb up
Back to top Go down
vexy
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:13 pm

Got some lovely pics of Roxy & friends love2

:thanku: Angela for sending the pics, sorry it took me so long to put them up shame

sharon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Great to see her happy big smile
Back to top Go down
amanda
Committee member
Committee member

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:53 pm

thumbs
Back to top Go down
sharon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:17 pm

update on Roxie from Ange

Roxysmum wrote:
Hi Sharon,

It has just happened again to me - I have lost a long message re Roxy that I was sending to you so I will have another go!! LOL.

Mother's Day today and two years since I adopted Roxy off you and she is beautiful. She is very fine for a Dane and has markings to die for and is 100% my dog - she loves me as much as I love her. My youngest daughter emigrated to NZ last Sept and I will never go down under for a visit - Rox would not allow it.

She is now three and as mad as ever but a lovely girl all the same. If she was human she would probably be ADHD (?) the family call her Psycho and even the vet said it will probably be at least a year before she calms down but as long as she gets her energy drained daily she is fine - she loves her walks and puts 100% into them.
I lost her Dane companion Digby last August the day before his 3rd birthday to DCM and both she and I grieved for him - still miss him now, but I rescued a dane x bloodhound pup from a bad breeder in Lincolnshire and they are now firm buddies. Our Quince is now 8 months old and a delight. He is a big boy, taller and heavier than Rox but as long as she can knock him over when they play rough she is happy. I have also rescued, this January, an old 8+ Black dane, Summer who family were emigrating and going to have her PTS as she was dog aggressive. I went up to Durham for her and after a growling session on first meeting Rox and Summer are now fine together and Summer has started playing with Roxy and Quince when we are out and about.

I have replaced the Volvo estate with a Mercedes Vito van and customised it for the Danes and they love it. We go all over the country in it to dane walks, which we do regularly and go at least monthly to Bournemouth to stay with Elaine and Hogie . We have also been north to Redcar on a couple of Dane walks and stay up there with Jayne and family and Horace. Roxy and co love the weekend s away with other Danes and get really excited when I pack the van and set off - she spends a fair bit of the journey watching out through the windows to see where she is going.
We are still involoved in Cani-x ( running with dogs with harnesss attached cross country) which my son in law and grandchildren and the dogs they use are my collies and collie crosses so now, with the Danes and the collies my pack numbers 8 and counting!! The danes love camping out and Rox is really good at opening the zip on the tent with her nose and taking herself and whoever is in the tent with her off for a walk. She is always good at returning too and really loves visiting new places and campsites. I think her favourite place is Grizedale in the Lakes ; we have been there twice now with Cani-x and she is always reluctant to leave. She stands on a high spot surveying the view like the Monarch of the Glen and I am sure in her mind she thinks she owns all she sees. She is very excited when we pull into the High Top car park and she is off into the woods as soon as the van stops. She has always been a good traveller and can be quite noisey until she settles down . We are off to Pembrey over the Easter weekend for a four day Cani-x comp and she will be in her element there.
Roxy still sleeps on the bed with me and is really good at night and always has been. She has just been to the vet for her annual check up and booster and he gave her a clean bill of health which was excellent.
When the Cani-x season finishes I will check up on your Mote park walks and bring her over to join you so you can see her again for yourselves. She is a lovely animal but things, especially toleration of the grandchildren must be done on her terms or else she takes herself back to bed! She is still attending dog training classes with the others and will always be my job in progress. She is very intelligent but can turn a deaf ear so I always carry a dog whistle when out and all 8 respond and also pockets ful of treats.
Hope all is well with you and with the rescue. Keep up the brilliant work.
Looking forward to seeing you in the not too distant future.
Love to all, Ang, Roxy, Mist, Quince and Summer.xxx

Back to top Go down
sharon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks for the wonderful update Ange

Would be great to see you and Roxy again, can't believe it has been 2 years where does the time go surprised

Such a shame about the wonderful Digby he was a beautiful boy, run free Digby you will always be remembered rainbow1

Get some photos posted up Ange big smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roxy - Great Dane   Today at 7:52 pm

Back to top Go down

Roxy - Great Dane
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3